Friday, October 16, 2020

Choices for Troubled Times – 7. God’s Unlikely Choices

But his citizens hated him
and sent a delegation after him, saying, 
'We do not want this man to reign over us.’
     -- Luke 19: 14, from a parable of Jesus

Jesus spoke the words of this parable only days before His own countrymen began to express their anger with loud shouts, “Crucify Him!  Crucify Him! 

“We don’t want this man to reign over us!” These words are a commentary on the history of mankind.  Unfortunately, they are also a commentary on my life and yours.  However, we are so prone to blame others for our problems.  All of us have had the experience of working with people we can hardly stand--that parent, that spouse, that boss, that pastor, that governor, or that president. 

We Are All “Hard-to-Get-Along-With” People
But if we think our situation is bad, consider that throughout most of history and in many cultures even today, people don’t have the freedom to choose their spouse, or boss, or spiritual leader, or political leader.  We Americans who reside in a democratic republic can’t imagine what it is like to live under a tyrant without representation and without our Constitution and Bill of Rights.  Yet throughout much of human history, three things have existed:

1) people in authority,
2) people who resist and despise authority,
3) and God above all who has given us this principle:
    “Honor my Authority over you,
      and exercise dominion and stewardship
      over the Earth (Genesis 1: 26-31; 2: 15-17).”   

Sadly, it didn’t take long for the first humans to question and then disobey God’s authority.   Human sin led to the curse upon creation and it set in motion God’s loving, redemptive plan to reconcile humans to Himself through Jesus Christ.  Although creation changed under the curse of sin, the three constants—people in authority, people rebelling, and God’s Authority remained.  In fact, during the Roman era of tyrannical emperors like Nero, the Apostle Paul wrote this astounding command: 

All of you must obey those who rule over you.
There are no authorities except the ones God has chosen.
Those who now rule have been chosen by God
(Romans 13: 1).  

Paul goes on in vv. 2-7 to explain that obeying our rulers means that we obey laws, pay our taxes, and honor and respect our leaders.   How incredible, you say!

But God’s plan for mankind gets even more amazing!  Not only are we to honor and respect all authorities, but we are to realize that God has allowed all of these to be in office, even the worst rulers.  Let’s hear from some of the people God has chosen as leaders if they could summarize their resumes.

Some Unlikely People God Has Chosen
I was extremely wealthy, but I was a liar. I married a beautiful woman, but when she could not give me a son, I chose to have sex with another woman who gave me a son—and many headaches along with him.  But God patiently nurtured my faith in Him.  By His mercy and grace, God gave me another son through whom I became the “father of many nations” through my descendant, Jesus Christ (Genesis 12, 16, 21).  – Abraham

I was a trickster from birth, stole the inheritance from my twin brother, cheated my employer, and wrestled with God through most of my life.  Then, one night I literally wrestled with God until finally my hip was dislocated and I have walked with a limp ever since.  But by God’s mercy, I became humble and obedient, and He gave me a new name.  (Genesis 25, 27, 32)
 – Israel (formerly Jacob, “the deceiver.”) 

I was a prince, but also a murderer, a coward, a short-tempered man, and one who could not speak well, especially in crowds (Exodus 2, 3).  But God used me to lead a nation of several million out of slavery in Egypt.   – Moses

I was a prostitute who unknowingly welcomed some men into my home, but they only propositioned me for information.  By faith in the God of Israel, I risked my life to help them.  Then, I hung out a red ribbon which became my salvation when God’s army came to destroy my city (Joshua 2, 6).  By God’s grace and mercy, I became the great grandmother of Jesse, the father of King David.   -- Rahab

I was a shepherd, a musician, a writer, a warrior, and a king.  But I became proud of my accomplishments and stole a man’s wife, then killed him to cover up my affair.  Yet, by His rich mercy, God sent a prophet to confront me about my sin.  I repented and was forgiven (Psalm 51).  God remembered His covenant throughout my royal line until, centuries later, my descendant named Jesus was born, “King of the Jews.”  -- David

I was a heathen king of the Empire of Babylon.  I erected an idyllic image of myself and commanded the people to worship me with the threat that I would cremate anyone alive who refused—and I carried out this wicked threat.  But when I became so proud, God humbled me to the point that I became as a wild beast, my body covered with hair, my fingernails as bird claws.  I ate grass like the cattle and was humbled until God in His mercy, restored me to authority where I proclaimed that He only is the righteous Creator to whom all honor is due (Daniel 4: 34-37). –King Nebuchadnezzar

I was a despised tax collector for the Romans, named Levi.  I padded my life with stolen and undeserved excesses in monies extracted from my poor countrymen and women.  Jesus, knowing all about me, came to my tax office and said, “Follow Me.”  I got up and followed Him.  Later, God allowed me to use my gifts under the inspiration of His Holy Spirit to write what became the first gospel in the New Testament.   -- Matthew

Watch video of the call of Jesus to Matthew – Click HERE

I was a Jewish leader (a Pharisee), a scholar and religious teacher.  But when I learned that an itinerant preacher had started a peaceful ‘revolution’ of sorts, I began to round up His followers, called “Christians,” and imprison them.  I even held the coats of my countrymen while they stoned to his death a Christ-follower named Stephen.  But God, “being rich in mercy,” although I was dead in my sin, made me alive with Christ and used me to spread the Gospel of Christ throughout the Roman Empire.  My message: “Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners—and I am the worst of them (1 Timothy 1: 15)!”  – the Apostle Paul (formerly, Saul)

I was born and raised on a family farm.  My parents introduced me to God by taking my sister, brother, and I to church every Sunday.  For years, I wondered how I could be good enough to please God.  Meanwhile, I broke each one of the Ten Commandments, in thought if not in action.  Then, I was introduced to the saving Gospel of Jesus Christ who died for my sin.  I still face the challenge of sin and temptation, but God has given me the power and victory over my sin nature, the grace and forgiveness I need through Christ’s shed blood when I confess my failings, and a loving family and church to encourage me along the way.  – John Silvius

Now It’s Your Turn
Now that you have read brief accounts of several men and women whom God chose, how do you view their sinful and greatly flawed life story with yours?  Why not take a few minutes, as I have above, to write your brief story of how God has chosen you or is still calling you by His wonderful grace?   Please click on “Comments” below to share your story online, or write to me at silviusj@gmail.com.

Our Responsibility to God’s Unlikely Choices
Meanwhile, is there someone in your life who causes you think like the person in Jesus’s parable: ‘We do not want this man to reign over us.’  You may even question why God’s Providence chose to bring this person to your life.  Is God really good considering He gave you your spouse-- or your boss at work, or your pastor, or your president?  Do you find it hard to follow God’s command-- Submitting yourselves one to another in the fear of God (Ephesians 5: 21)?  The Apostle Paul expands on this command in his letter to young Pastor Timothy (emphasis mine):

First of all, then, I urge that entreaties and prayers, petitions and thanksgivings, be made on behalf of all men, for kings and all who are in authority, so that we may lead a tranquil and quiet life in all godliness and dignity.  This is good and acceptable in the sight of God our Savior, who desires all men to be saved and to come to the knowledge of the truth. For there is one God, and one mediator also between God and men, the man Christ Jesus, who gave Himself as a ransom for all, the testimony given at the proper time… Therefore, I want the men in every place to pray, lifting up holy hands, without wrath and dissension.  – 1 Timothy 2: 1-8

Notice that God desires all men to be saved and to come to the knowledge of the truth.  God’s grace is at work in each of our lives and in our spouse, our friends, our boss, our pastor.  Where are you and the people God has placed in your life along the trajectory of “coming to the knowledge of the truth?”  Remember where Abraham, Moses, and Paul began.  Our work as God’s imperfect children is clear:
Can’t stand your spouse?   Pray for him or her.
Wondering why God hasn’t given you a better pastor?  Pray for him and encourage him.
Don’t want your boss to “rule over you?”   Ask God to help you know how to encourage him.
Despise your president, or his opponents?   Pray for God’s work in his or their lives.

Remember, dear brothers and sisters, that few of you were wise in the world’s eyes or powerful or wealthy when God called you.  Instead, God chose things the world considers foolish in order to shame those who think they are wise. And he chose things that are powerless to shame those who are powerful.  God chose things despised by the world, things counted as nothing at all, and used them to bring to nothing what the world considers important. 29As a result, no one can ever boast in the presence of God.  – 1 Corinthians 1: 26-29

Will You Share Your Story?
How about your life story? 
Do you believe God has chosen you be a Christ-following disciple?   
Do you believe you are worthy of being chosen?   
How do you explain that God would choose you? 
For what purpose(s) has God chosen you?
What would God have you do now?

Please click on “Comments” below to share your story online, or write to me at silviusj@gmail.com.

No comments: