Saturday, January 20, 2018

Fruitful Careers of Former Colleagues

While enjoying my Saturday morning breakfast that ends with some fruit, I am taking time to reflect on the fruitful service of several of my former colleagues at Cedarville University as reported in the Fall, 2017 issue of Cedarville Magazine.  I am thankful for my colleague and friend, Dr. Pamela Johnson who along with her husband, Cliff, and their faithful friend Dee Morris, have been great encouragers and examples to Abby and I for many years.  Pam and Cliff are also a great testimony of a lovingly compatible marriage that seems to have been, as they say, “made in heaven.”

Both Pamela, and another colleague, Lynn Brock, have made effective use of their gift of administration (1 Corinthians 12: 28).  I was privileged to serve with them on several committees and observed the wise contributions of these valued colleagues.  Lynn, his wife Donna, and their children were our neighbors during our first 8 years at Cedarville.  I owe Lynn many thanks for his administration of the Centennial Library which was a valuable contribution to my teaching and research.  I still use my online access to the library.

As I finish my mango and grapes, I reflect on the fruitful life of Jim Cato and how he, Melody, and family have ministered to our family in meaningful worship through their gift of music.  Jim and Melody came to Cedarville as a young, married couple when Abby and I were in our first few years.  It has been a blessing to see them grow spiritually and become such an integral part of both the campus and local community.  Their ministry has grown over the years to reach beyond Cedarville through HeartSong Teams.  We are praying for the Cato family these days while they are in a new chapter of dependence upon God and the wisdom of doctors to bring healing to Jim.

Of the four colleagues featured in the Cedarville Magazine article, I saved Paul Ware, for last.  Paul has served in various capacities on the Cedarville Grounds Department for 40 years.  His leadership and hard work have brought aesthetic beauty and conservation to the Cedarville University campus.  Meanwhile, he has served as a spiritual mentor to many Cedarville students, including our son Brad, when they work as members of the grounds crew.  Paul was a valuable partner in my teaching and research as relates to the establishment of the Cedarville Prairie Restoration Project which began in 1999 on what was an agricultural field that had become a well field for the supply of ground water for the campus.  Paul and I also cooperated with the aid of student workers in the development of the Cedarville University Arboretum which is supported by a database of all of the major trees on campus.   Finally, Abby and I personally thank Paul and Marilyn for their friendship, and for sharing Paul’s dear father and mother, Richard and Dorothy Ware with us for many years.

Finally, as I reflect on my former colleagues, I realize that these whom I recognize herein are only a few among the many who have been such a blessing to serve with during my 32 years at Cedarville University.  I think of Michael DiCuirci, Professor Emeritus of Music who retired in 2016.  Mike and I, along with Dr. Charles Dolph, Professor of Psychology, were in the same “freshman class” of faculty that arrived in 1979.   Both musical Mike and still-teaching, counseling, and conservation-minded Chuck are good stewards of their gifts and abilities, and I hope their best days on Earth are still ahead.

I also think of Dr. Don Bauman who was chair of the Science & Math Department when I was hired, and who served humbly and faithfully along with Dr. Larry Helmick, Professor of Chemistry during the entire time of my tenure at Cedarville.  Both of these man have recently retired as well.  Don’s successor as chair was Dr. Dan Wetzel who served in an exemplary way as our chair before becoming dean of Engineering, Nursing, and Sciences.  Dan had just called me two nights ago and related how blessed he is to still have reasonably good health and the ability to enjoy his family.  Of course, Dan’s successor as chair was Dr. Dennis Flentge, Senior Professor of Chemistry, for whom I also thank God.  Dennis came to Cedarville soon after I did and has been a faithful faculty member, administrator, and friend all these years.

As you can see, I am not at a loss for memory of many fine colleagues.  But I must stop now.   I finished my breakfast fruit hours ago, and I am nearly finished with what I wanted to write.  My thanks and prayers go out to those I have mentioned and to the many others with whom I’ve been blessed to serve. 

Meanwhile, each year, Cedarville is blessed with a new “crop” of “freshman faculty” who bring quality teaching, mentoring, and research to another generation of students.  For those of us who have moved on or will soon move on to another chapter of life after Cedarville (AC?), may we continue to be faithful to God’s calling which doesn’t stop at “retirement.”  I have appreciated the perspective of my former colleague and friend, Dr. Allen Monroe, Professor Emeritus of Social Science.  Known affectionately as “Uncle Al.”  When he “retired” from Cedarville, Dr. Monroe saw his many years as professor as being preparatory for what God had really called him to do in the next chapter of his life.  Indeed, following his “retirement” from Cedarville, he was able to make over 40 trips overseas to teach young pastors.  May each of us pray according to the prayer of the Apostle Paul, that God’s Spirit will empower us to continue to walk in a manner worthy of the Lord, to please Him in all respects, bearing fruit in every good work and increasing in the knowledge of God… (Colossians 1: 10).
*     *     * 
I dedicate this article to Dr. and Mrs. Paul Dixon.  Paul Dixon’s passion for God and for Cedarville University had a major impact on my profession in biology and profession of my faith in God.  Paul’s leadership and approach toward Christian higher education provided an environment in which I could personally become more spiritually disciplined and effective in the integration of science and faith in my teaching.  It was also my privilege to serve on the Cedarville faculty with Pat Dixon, Professor of English.  In addition to her faithful role beside President Dixon, Pat was to the inside of campus buildings through her influence upon their décor what Paul Ware was to the landscape around the buildings.  (I would imagine the paths of the two frequently crossed in a complementary fashion.)  Thank you, Paul and Pat, and may God bless and keep you.

No comments: